Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Thursday August 14, 2014


Thursday August 14 guess who’s sleeping in this morning? Once again in my own berth and Chevy now languishes in her own bed waiting for the morning’s approval to lie alongside. The morning is heavy in foggy dew and the trees are all weeping from the burden of its presence. This is a work day and out come the mechanical munchers (sanders, scrubbers, and manpower) gnarling away to put the old girls outsides right. It’s pick and fill, but tomorrow will come the icing to fair her skin much like madam before the looking glass applying the perfect rouge and pencil thin eyeliner on for an ever so important date. Let’s not forget the application of the old rot and wrinkle reducer that lets her retain her pretended youth. Time off for my lady so Chevy and I take the dinghy out to stretch its wings.

Momma Black & Cub


 Penny spends the day tidying up and catching up with my log and pictures. At the end of the day she comes out to inspect my repairs and cleans everything up.  Pen done with the cleanup curls up in the salon with her glass of the wine in a silver long stemmed glass after putting up with me and dust all day.
Momma Missing Part of Her Nose



   

brush but appear a little further down the beach.

Now I have Chevy, radio, and the depth sounder under control and now if the camera would only work in the low last sun light enough to show black bears against black rocks and black beach. On reviewing the pictures I notice mom bear is missing part of her left nostril perhaps defending her cub against an old HE bear?  

     

 
I arrive back at the old logging dock only to find another mom bear AND TWO CUBS doing the same thing. Chevy is now sitting watching on guard at the edge of the old timber dock looking at me for the command to voice her protest.  I take the photos but I have little hope that I will capture the two frolicking cubs. I I am off with the camera with a telephoto lens looking for bears or critters worth a chance shot. The tide is low and we spot a dark shadow amongst the rocks. A Young mom black bear with her cub is busy munching on barnacles and the cub’s head disappears behind the large boulders in the pursuit of the evening meal. Chevy is in alarm mode as we are about 20 ft. from them and you can hear the grinding of their teeth scraping the delicacies of mussels from the granite surfaces. It is hard to admonish Chevy as now she has locked her beady little eyes on them, growling and murfing. I do not want to spook the mom and the cub and the VHF radio squawks into life, the depth sounder is bleeping a shallow water report and I do not want to be unkind to the little girl dog as it is her job to sound a warning. Mom and the cub ramble off into the brush but appear a little further down the beach.


Momma With Two Cubs


 

No comments:

Post a Comment