Saturday, August 2, 2014

Saturday July 26, 2014



Hidden in Fougner








Saturday July 26 More ramblings and muttering from the bridge of “OA”. There was no wind last night? Shore duty for puppy and the tide is very low and it is a steep rock faces which she wizzes up. I want to change her name to “Mountaineer” as she is really getting into this shore thing, but Penny told me “NO”.

I check weather on VHF and there is no service that I can hear, as time goes by I am losing complete confidence in are weather forecasting services from COAST GUARD particularly in the North Coast region. We now rely on CTV on the satellite for weather info.
A murder of crows is protesting something on a small island; it could be a 4 legged creature of some type or maybe it’s a family discussion about who left the top of the tooth paste off. The small tug style yacht that came in last night left early, probably at first light. Penny has tidied up the ship so carefully and everything this ship shape Bristol fashion.
 
FOUGNER BAY was named Iver Fougner who came from Norway and settled in Bella Coola in 1894. He was a smart lad and he became the first school teacher there. His writings are an important source of information about the colony. In 1901 he became the first person to receive a teacher’s certificate at the Vancouver Normal School. In 1909 he was named Indian Agent for the Bella Coola region and a mountain nearby was named for him and possibly the low hanging white clouds at sea level in this region.
Chevy Likes Her Ride More
The thing about this area is it’s not all about big boats from points south of the border. Bella Coola is but a 3hr tour in a fast boat to where we are moored in the Burke Channel and it empties out into some of the most existing and wild fishing country on this planet. We sit in this bay and there are 4 smaller boats here.  The largest is 25 ft. older Bayliner down to 23ft boat. They have trailered from all points in the B.C. Interior. They are captained by younger folks about in there sixties. The 23 ft. Bayliner has come from Christina Lake.  Two of the boats have dogs aboard and the puppies are taken ashore in small kayaks to do there shore duty by the admirals. Chevy immediately noticed that she goes in a varnished yacht tender. She is forbidden is to flaunt this or we will be launching the smallest kayak we have on board to paddle ashore by herself. So watch it little girl!
These are a more mature group of yachts people but it is my duty to advise them all that If the partying and carousing continue to first light I will notify the nearest RCMP detachment  and will come down on them with full force of the law……… This sobered them up immediately and all said they would respect my wishes and scurried off to bed without further ado (this was about 6.30 pm.)
Lots of Birds Watching Us
 
 
 
 
The 25 ft. Bayliner “Autumn Gypsy” comes as a complete uninhibited fishing machine. I am sure that this is all about sustained salmon catch as I view more Salmon cleaned ready for the smoker or other than I have landed in 3 seasons of fishing (I usually catch 1 per year). They are all filleted and hung up for further food processing. On the swim grid are jerry cans of gas (about 5) so he does not have to hurry back for gas if the bite is on.  I do not understand the primeval urge to gather all this food and I admit that I would be the first to perish if the world ran short on food (I would be likely to eat grass and turn into a cow and the butcher would be happy).. Large prawn buoys mounted and ready to go and about a thousand lures hung up on a special rack to make sure of their immediate on hand to be attached to the line to attract another fish. It turns out that he is a retired butcher out of Willies puddle, (I get it now). I immediately wanted to trade are best cut of meat for his worst cut on his boat. I don’t really feel bad as we get to watch on the Telly a really good National Geographic’s special and Penny and I nosh away on a not so bad piece of meat in the comfort of lure and fish smell free environment, to each his own). I did get admonished today about leaving some spots of fish blood on the varnish of the little boat and I will endeavor to clean up my mistakes in the future.
Many Boats in Fougner




 



No comments:

Post a Comment